Sunday, December 07, 2008

Exercising for optimal outcome to an organ transplant

Organ transplant patients must follow a strict regimen both pre-transplant and post-transplant to insure their surgery is a success and recovery goes well. This includes diet, exercise and strict compliance with taking prescribed medications.
In the photo on the left I'm a pretty sad looking case as I recovered in the ICU following my lung transplant, but just a few weeks later (below) they had me exercising and I felt like a million dollars. That was over six years ago and I've never stopped.

Walking has been my lifesaver and I can't stress enough how important exercise is. As soon as I finished the three-month re-hab at the hospital, the first thing I did when I got home was to buy a treadmill for those days I couldn't walk outdoors.

What prompted me to post this article was a web site recommended to me: http://thetreadmillguide.com/.
I checked it out and can highly recommend you visit this site for tips on buying a treadmill and using it.

“You Have the Power to Save Lives – Sign Your Donor Card & Tell Your Loved Ones of Your Decision”

Register to be a donor in Ontario or Download Donor Cards from Trillium Gift of Life Network
For other Canadian provinces click here

In the United States, be sure to find out how to register in your state at ShareYourLife.org or Download Donor Cards from OrganDonor.Gov

Your generosity can save up to eight lives with heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, pancreas and small intestine transplants. One tissue donor can help up to 100 other people by donating skin, corneas, bone, tendon, ligaments and heart valves

No comments: