Thursday, February 14, 2008

THIS VALENTINE’S DAY TALK TO YOUR LOVED ONE’S ABOUT ORGAN DONATION

Sign an organ donor card and talk to your family about your wishes

February 12, 2008 - Toronto, Ontario - Trillium Gift of Life Network (TGLN) is celebrating Valentine’s Day by reminding Ontarians to sign their organ donor cards and speak to their family about their wishes.

“We have a shortage of organs in Ontario. There are too many men, women and children on the organ transplant waiting list. You have the power to save up to eight lives, just by signing your organ donor card and sharing your wishes with your loved ones,” said Frank Markel, President and CEO of TGLN.

Today in Ontario, 1,665 patients are on the transplant waiting list.

“To give an organ to save someone's life, to me, is the ultimate expression of caring and unconditional love. In March 2008, I will be receiving a kidney (my third transplant in 24 years) from a loved one, and words can't describe what this means to me, to my life and the lives of my daughters,” said Justin Poy of Toronto. “Please sign your organ donor card and express your wishes to your family and those closest to you. It could undoubtedly be the most important gift you will ever give.”

Every three days someone dies waiting for an organ transplant in Ontario.

“I was given a chance to live and love again when I received my transplant,” said Carla Borton, a heart and double lung recipient from Thunder Bay. “I am grateful for each extra day I have been gifted to be with my loved ones. This Valentine's Day is special for me because this year I have someone special to share it with. I will be forever grateful that my donor and their family made the decision to give the gift of love to someone else.”

Everyone is a potential organ and tissue donor. The oldest Canadian organ donor to date was over 90 years of age, while the oldest tissue donor was 102.

“It's critical to share your decision with your family, as they will be asked for final consent to donate your organs after your death. Talk about your intentions with your loved ones and give them a copy of your signed donor card so they can understand, support and respect your wishes in the future,” said Markel. “Hundreds of lives are saved every year because of a simple conversation.”

For more details on Trillium Gift of Life Network or where you can obtain an organ donor card please visit our website at TGLN or call 416-363-4001 or toll free 1-800-263-2833.

“You Have the Power to Save Lives – Sign Your Donor Card & Tell Your Loved Ones of Your Decision”

Download Donor Cards from Trillium Gift of Life Network

Download Donor Cards from OrganDonor.Gov

Your generosity can save up to eight lives through organ donation and enhance another 50 through tissue donation

No comments: